With an authorized strength of
86 employees, the Cullman Police Department is the largest municipal law
enforcement agency in Cullman County. A full-service police agency, the
department has embraced a community-oriented philosophy and relies
heavily upon community involvement in problem solving strategies. It is
through this approach of heightened community awareness in public safety
matters that the Cullman Police Department most effectively addresses
its major priority of providing a safe and secure environment for those
who live, work and play here.
It is the mission of the Cullman Police
Department to provide professional police service in partnership with
the community that enhances the quality of life, by preserving the
constitutional rights of every citizen while enforcing all federal laws,
state laws and ordinances of the City of Cullman. This is accomplished
through the application of the standards of professionalism, integrity
Back in 1885, law was maintained in the City
of Cullman by a constable, and later by marshals. In 1896, GJ McCoy
was City Marshall, and was followed by Bill Schneider in 1900. From 1907
forward, a Chief of Police has been tasked with maintaining law and
Past Chiefs of Police
||1922 A.A. Rollo
||1952 O.W. Hancock
|1908 G.A. Hickmon
||1923 W.G. Windsor
|1911 J. Hill
||1924 J.H. Nix
||1960 R.B. Moyer
|1915 J.W. Sparks
||1932 Jack Tucker
||1964 Bascom Miller
|1919 C.B. Graves
||1939 W.M. Heaton
||1972 Roy Wood, Jr.
|1919 J.L. Brasher
||1947 J.E. Pierce
||1984 Bill Mangum
|1920 W.G. Windsor
||1950 E.E. Fulmer
||1988 Kenny Culpepper - current
|1922 J.M. West
||1950 G.C. Chapman
Historical Facts about Cullman Police Dept.
- 1875: Town Marshall was required to furnish
his badge, at his own expense.
- 1876: Town Marshall was paid an annual
salary of $125. In 1877, however, he was able to earn extra income
by removing the carcasses of dead animals. He would receive $1.50
for a hog or dog, $4 for cattle. In 1880, he was paid 50 cents for
each arrest made that ended in a conviction.
- 1886: Mayor orders Town Marshall to get rid
of cow bells on city streets.
- 1894: Resolution passed forbidding the Town
Marshall to enter saloons to drink or play pool while on duty.
- 1897: A two-cell city jail was built for
- 1905: Town Marshall was paid $35 each
month, with a $1 bonus for each arrest and conviction.
- 1915: Police force consisted of three men.
- 1920: Chief of Police was paid $100 each
- 1921: Motorcycle officer added to the
- 1923: Motorcycle was replaced with a Ford
- 1931: A Chevrolet coach was put into
- Plans presented for a 10x12 police station to be
built at the corner of First Avenue and Fourth Street West.
- 1953: An old truck was purchased for $100
and delegated to the dog catcher.
- 1955: Radar speed unit was purchased.
- 1962: Each officer was required to pay
$2.50 each month for his uniforms.
- 1962: An eight-hour work shift was made
- 1965: Old police station converted into
- 1973: A code of rules and regulations was
- 1976: Air conditioning was added to the
police station and jail.